Sustainability Insight & Action
Moore & Associates and partners have many years of practical experience conducting research on markets and materials throughout the recycling supply chain, and providing clients with new knowledge and action plans. Our sustainability practice builds on this experience, adding more extensive capabilities in research, marketing, communications, and outreach.
Our Sustainability services include the following:
- Generating new insights on business questions and issues through primary research, both large-scale statistical surveys and qualitative methods such as one-on-one interviews, focus groups, video diaries, ethnography, and more.
- Developing estimates of market size, and supply/demand forecasts, using secondary data, often combined with data from primary research.
- Working with clients and stakeholders to develop new strategies for changing behavior through advertising and communications campaigns, price adjustments, promotions, training, and education. We also measure the impact of new strategies after launch.
- Writing articles, white papers, policy and issue briefs, marketing materials, and educational materials.
A sustainability strategy involves developing goals and benchmarks; ensuring that your suppliers are in sync with your sustainability goals; ensuring that both your customers and consumers in general are aware of your progress; and ensuring that your sustainability actions are helping to build your brand. Areas where Moore & Associates assists clients include:
- Development and review of the Recycling and Product/Packaging elements of corporate sustainability plans.
- Assessing the sustainability practices of your suppliers relative to your sustainability goals.
- Tracking consumer perceptions of your sustainability program, and determining the impact on brand image, market share, and other key metrics.
- Determining which elements of your sustainability program are key drivers of brand image, and identifying changes needed to optimize your brand and sustainability program.
In response to sustainability goals, R&D departments have expanded the search for ways to use more recycled materials in packaging, and to make more sustainable packaging. As brand owners create new sustainable product lines and incorporate new types of packaging into existing products, it will be important to ensure that changes drive consumers to the brand. Moore & Associates provides insights and strategies for business needs such as:
- Screening new product/package concepts and proto-types online in order to identify winners
- Testing proto-type packaging in-home or in-store to optimize packaging features
- Assessing consumer ‘willingness-to-pay’ for new types of packaging.
- Projections to estimate the level of in-market success of new products/packaging
- Tracking changes in purchase intent/brand image before and after a new product/package launch
- Market segmentation to determine the size of the market for specific packaging innovations such as higher recycled content, compostable, biodegradable, and the like.
Moore & Associates understands the complexity of recycling markets from local governments and generators (residential and commercial); through collection and processing; to end-markets, both domestic and export. We assist clients in many areas including:
- Survey research to understand generators’ motivation and knowledge gaps about appropriate recycling behaviors, identifying roadblocks and opportunities for improvement.
- Field research in the home or business designed to understand consumers’ greatest challenges to recycling correctly, in general or for specific materials such as OCC and e-commerce impacts.
- Survey research to understand consumer attitudes and sentiment toward current public issues such as single-use cups, recycled content in packaging, and the like.
- Outreach and engagement programs for local communities and businesses to communicate the information needed to change awareness, knowledge, and ultimately behavior.
- Organizing/moderating focus groups, forums, or workshops for stakeholders to develop the business case, policies, and action plans needed to improve the market for various types of recycled materials.
- Developing and evaluating market development programs for communities and regions; and identifying markets for various types of recycled materials.